Friday, February 20, 2015

Health: The Wonders of Malunggay or Moringa Oleifera



My mother used to make soup with boiled chicken, ginger, and malunggay (or moringa oleifera) leaves. Malunggay leaves come from a tree that grows easily in the Philippines. We had several trees along the fence, and when we needed some leaves, the maids would cut off some sprigs. Malunggay was considered a poor man's food, but my mother used to rave about how good it was for our health and we would have it perhaps once a week.


Recently, a lot has been written about malunggay being a miracle vegetable, high in vitamins, good for lactating mothers, good for virility, anti-cancer, anti-tumor, anti-inflammatory, anti-bacteria, anti-fungal, antioxidant, good as a mouth wash, the oil is used as base for perfumes and cosmetics, and so on.

Now you can buy malunggay tea, dried or powdered malunggay leaves, malunggay oil from Amazon.com and health food stores. Dr. Oz has even featured it in his program.

The malunggay grows in tropical places like the Philippines, India, and Africa. My friend in California has managed to grow malunggay as well. She's given me some seeds, which I still have to plant.


Someone also gave me powdered malunggay leaves when I was in the Philippines, and I've been adding a a teaspoon of this in my morning smoothies.

I'll keep you posted if I feel this supplement is good. And I will certainly let you know if the seeds grow.

Read also
How to Lower Blood Pressure: Drink Hibiscus or Gumamela Tea
Medicine and Health: Herbs as Natural Remedies
How to Make Gugo Shampoo

This is all for now,
Cecilia


No comments: