Sunday, December 7, 2014

Guest Blogger: Celine Conejos Reviews Restaurants in Geneva, Switzerland




I am delighted to include reviews about some of these Geneva restaurants by our Guest Blogger, Celine Conejos. 

A Philippine Diplomat's wife, Celine Conejos is a permanent resident of Makati, although she currently lives in Geneva, Switzerland. She reviews hotel, restaurant, and attraction sites in TripAdvisor under the name of Coellum. She says this of herself:

"My father was very fond of traveling. He passed on his wanderlust to me. I enjoy traveling and planning for my trips. People close to me benefit from this. My children have many good memories of happy vacations together. At present, I live in Geneva temporarily. Being in the heart of Europe gives me many opportunities to see new places."




 The following reviews first appeared in TripAdvisor and are reprinted with Celine Conejos' permission. I look forward to posting more of her reviews about other places in my blog. Thanks to Celine Conejos for sharing her reviews.

~~
La Faviola - 4 Stars
Rue Jean Calvin 15, Geneve, Geneva 1204, Switzerland 


Photo of La Favola
This is a small restaurant in the Old Town. This is my third time here and the quality remains the same. For our starter, my husband and I shared a ravioli with truffle shavings. This is normally a main course but it is perfect as a starter when shared. My main course was spring lamb. It was tender with a delicious gravy. My husband had Osso Buco and this was also good. For dessert, I had cake with chocolate fondant served prettily on a glass plate.

Each time I have eaten here, I have enjoyed both the favors and the presentation of my food. It is a rather pricy place though.



~~



Notre Dame Basilica - 3 Stars
3, rue Argand, Geneva 1201, Switzerland

This church is just across the Gare Cornavin. It is a lovely church. The restoration was completed about a year ago. On Sunday evenings there is an English mass.
What is sad about this place is that there are undesirable looking people who like to hang out here. Once when I visited at noon, a priest was trying to tell a dirty looking person to move away from the altar. It looked like he was going to disturb the Blessed Sacrament. I left hurriedly. I wonder how the parish can solve this situation.

~~
Photo of Rue du Rhone
Rue du Rhone - 3 Stars
Geneva, Switzerland

This is the Fifth Avenue of Geneva. All the expensive shops are here. I like to get off at the tram at Belair and make my way to Rue du Rhone from there. Of interest to me as a Filipino is a little plaque not far from the tram stop, indicating that our national hero, Jose Rizal, once stayed at a pension on this spot. Then, I continue to window shop, looking at the expensive jewelry displayed in store after store. Cartier is here. Boucherer, the official distributor of Rolex can be found here. The designer labels are here too. You will see Prada, Louis Vitton, Chanel, Celine and many more. For lesser mortals, it is a nice street for window shopping.


Photo of Jardin Anglais
~~~

Jardin Anglais - 3 Stars
Lake Geneva

This is not a very big garden, but it's on the lake. It is always nice to look out at that view. I have heard that there is wifi here (Geneva has wifi in the parks), but I have never tried it. The famous Floral Clock is here, at the end of the Mont Blanc Bridge. The plants on the clock are changed regularly and has a different design every time I pass by.
There are many pickpockets here. My husband says that someone tried to steal his wallet while he was here. It is wise to be alert while visiting the garden. 

~~
Le Quatuor Terpsycordes, April 2011


Victoria Hall - 4 Stars
14, rue du General-Dufour, Geneva, Switzerlan (Hollande)

I have been here for concerts. It is a beautiful theater with a lot of ornamentation. The seats are not the usual upholstered theater seats. They are made of woven cane. What is nice is that they are quite wide for a theater. It makes a grand setting for any concert. 
~~

Jet d'Eau - 4 Stars
quai Gustave-Ador

This fountain in the middle of the lake is a symbol of the city. Impossible to miss as you are walking on the banks of the lake in Geneva, it is even prettier when rainbows appear across it. It had its beginnings as a safety valve of a hydraulic power network. The people of Geneva liked it so much that it was decided to make it a permanent feature. Nowadays, the gigantic water fountain is propelled by pumps.
You have not seen Geneva if you have not seen the Jet d'Eau. 

~~


Bistro du Boeuf Rouge
17 Rue Alfred-Vincent, Geneva CH 1201, Switzerland (Mont-Blanc)

We ordered chateaubriand for 4 persons and entrecĂ´te. All were delicious. The wine we had, Humagne Rouge, went very well with the steaks. Service was slow. After we had finished our salads, we must have waited for more than 30 minutes for our steaks. Fortunately, the food was worth the wait. Desserts were wonderful. I had a gateau au chocolat blanc which I liked a lot. The total bill came to about 300 Francs for 5 people. That is not bad for Geneva. We will surely return to this popular place. 



Read also
Celine Conejos Reviews Makati Restaurants
Guest Blogger: Manny Gonzalez Reviews Paris Restaurants
Dinner at Les Deux Magots with Cuenco Cousins

This is all for now,
Cecilia


No comments: