Sunday, June 22, 2014

Woman With Horns at the Cebu Literary Festival, June 27


I am delighted to be part of the upcoming Cebu Literary Festival on June 27, 2014. I am not always in my birthplace of Cebu, and so it’s a privilege for me to have the chance to share my work with my fellow Cebuanos. The fact is that Cebu has been a great inspiration to my fiction, where Cebu appears as Ubec. I have also written about Cebu in my non-fiction, some of which have been collected in the book, Out of Cebu: Essays and Personal Prose. I plan to talk and do readings about this topic at the #cebuLitFest on June 27. 

Some of you will remember my story, Woman with Horns, one of my earlier stories. This was inspired by a woman in Cebu who reportedly had horns.  As a child, I used to look at the two bumps on her forehead and imagine the horns underneath her hair. I eventually wrote Woman With Horns about a flirtatious Ubecan widow and an American doctor, Dr. Gerald McAllister.  This story became popular, with students making video clips based on it - click here.  Readers who enjoyed Woman with Horns will be interested to know that I've used the same characters in my novel-in-progress, and I'll be sharing an excerpt about Agustina and Dr. McAllister, 8 years later.

I have other ideas for my presentation on June 27, dear Readers. It will be fun, so join us if you happen to be in Cebu: Ayala Center, 4:30 p.m.  See you! 



Bio: Cecilia Manguerra Brainard was born and raised in Cebu, Philippines. She is the author and editor of 19 books, including the novels, When the Rainbow Goddess Wept and Magdalena, which are set in Ubec (or Cebu backwards). She will be talking about “Cebu As Inspiration to My Writings” at the Cebu Literary Festival on June 27, 4:30 p.m. Ayala Center.


Tags: literature, Cebu, Philippines, author, writer, novelist, Filipina, Cecilia Manguerra Brainard

This is all for now,
Cecilia

No comments: