Sunday, March 9, 2014

Remembering the Birthdays of My Father and Mother

I feel terrible that I forgot my parents' birthdays!

My mother's birthday was on February 18; and my father's was on March 8.





I usually remember and honor them on these days, but because of my busy schedule, these special days slipped my mind.

They lived in another era, and I reckon, I and my remaining siblings are the only ones who still remember their birthdays.  The succeeding generations no longer do.

I suppose it will be the same with me. My children will remember details about my life, but the next generations will no longer know me as well.

That is how it is.

We will be boiled down to information listed in the certificates of birth, marriage, death; and further down the line, boiled down to DNA.

As Shakespeare said, "This life ... is but a walking shadow; a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more: it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

But I am here today, and even though I'm late, I honor my father, Mariano Flores Manguerra and my mother, Concepcion Cuenco Manguerra.

Thank you for my life and for having taken good care of me.

Rest under the shadow of God's wings.



Read also
My Father Receives Award 33 Years Later!!!
Saying Goodbye to Papa
Death of a Carnival Queen: 1912-2002
Where the Daydreaming Came From - Out of Cebu
My Father's Picture in Tau Alpha Fraternity, UP
Lola Remedios and her Sayas 

tags: family, parents, birthday, Philippines, Cebu, Cuenco, Manguerra, Laguna, Cecilia Brainard

This is all for now,
Cecilia


No comments: