Friday, January 10, 2014

Which Travel Camera Should I Buy?



As some of you know, I lost my Canon G12 to an internet scammer and so I thought I'd get a good point-and-click camera, for travel.  I contacted my techie son who sent me the following information:



The newest version I would recommend is the S120 for around $450.

The older version is a LOT cheaper S110 at $220 but has an older sensor.


The Sx220 or Lx220 do NOT have the same sensor.
The BEST image quality available in this size range is the sony RX100 or its other iterations.  This is a big improvement in quality but maybe a little less refined to use. Costs around $500.


If you are willing to accept a slight size increase the pictures become dramatically higher quality with Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1KS for around $748.


The camera on the left (Lumix) can change lenses and is a "real" camera.  The camera on the right is the RX100 compact camera.


~~~
I looked at a lot of reviews and narrowed my choices down to the Sony and the Lumix. There were a lot of good things said about both cameras, but what made me make my decision was a statement that said the Lumix was great for nighttime photography, and the Sony great for daytime.  As you can see from the picture above, the Sony is also more compact.

So I put my money on the Sony RX100!

I still have my old Canon Powershot A710 for backup.

Watch out for better pictures in my blog!!!

Read also:
Beware of CamerasAndParts.com!

tags: camera, cameras, photography, pictures, Sony, Canon, Lumix, Panasonic, travel, compact, point and click

All for now,
Cecilia

No comments: