Thursday, July 18, 2013

Part 2 -Pictures of Historic Cebu Philippines - Santo Nino Basilica

This is Part 2 - Pictures of Historic Cebu, Philippines

Click here for Part 1 - Pictures of Historic Cebu, Philippines
Click here for Part 3 - Pictures of Historic Cebu, Philippines

I'm posting more of the pictures I took of Historic Cebu.

These were taken in the Santo Nino Basilica, the oldest church in the Philippines, founded in the 16th century.  As a newborn I had beri-beri and was basically dying when my mother danced her prayer to the Child Jesus to beg for my life. I survived.

While she was alive, my mother always reminded me I owed my life to the Santo Nino and whenever I was in Cebu, would take me to visit Him.  I continue to visit the Santo Nino when I am in town. The Child Jesus is considered miraculous by many, and numerous pilgrims visit daily. They line up to make their way to the statue of the Baby Jesus, which is ensconced in a separate altar, and when they are there, they kiss a relic as they say their prayers.

There is a custom here in Cebu, which I find endearing. People wave hello and goodbye to the Child Jesus, as if He were a live person.

The pictures show the exterior of the basilica, the main altar, the side altar with the Santo Nino, people showing devotion, the cloister, an oil painting depicting the arrival of the Spaniards in 1521, exterior picture, and people lighting candles to show their devotion.












 



 I have a few more pictures of Historic Cebu which I'll share in another posting.

I leave you with this prayer -- it is not Filipino but Irish -- a favorite of mine:

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.



For now, goodbye and thanks for stopping by,
Cecilia

Read also
The Bachelors and Femina Days of Cebu - Memorabilia photos
Old Photographs and Memories 
The Schools I attended, Part 1, St.Theresa's College
The Schools I attended, Part 2, UP & Maryknoll
The Schools I attended, Part 3, UCLA

Saying Goodbye to Papa
Where the Daydreaming Came From 
Death of a Carnival Queen


~~
tags: travel, Philippines, Cebu, history, Santo Nino, Spanish Colonial, church, Augustinian church, Sugbu, Cecilia Manguerra Brainard, tour, holiday, visitor, pilgrimage, Child Jesus



No comments: