Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Blog Report #2 from Manila, by Cecilia Manguerra Brainard



I've gotten used to a certain distance between me and another person in the US, and when I'm back in the Philippines, I forget that that "polite" or "comfortable" distance is different. It's closer in the Philippines, and so I find myself backing off when I'm talking to someone, to maintain that comfortable distance.

It's one of the things that's different, like the humidity, and it takes getting used to.

The weather was great this morning but now, late afternoon I see clouds gathering so it will surely rain.  I was able to take a few pictures, which I'm sharing.



The top picture shows a sculpture cluster of some carabaos (water buffaloes) and a child, depicting a country scene; in the background is the Greenbelt chapel, a lovely church in the middle of Makati's high rises.


This next picture shows a section of Greenbelt shopping center in Ayala, Makati.

The guard posed for me; I took his picture to show that these security guards carry guns.  And they also use dogs - see the next picture.


Sandals and flipflops - this last picture taken in SM Department Store in Makati as well.

~~
See also Blog Report #1 from Manila

Read also
The Bachelors and Femina Days of Cebu - Memorabilia photos
Old Photographs and Memories 
The Schools I attended, Part 1, St.Theresa's College
The Schools I attended, Part 2, UP & Maryknoll
The Schools I attended, Part 3, UCLA

Saying Goodbye to Papa
Where the Daydreaming Came From 
Death of a Carnival Queen



tags: travel, Philippines, Manila, Makati, Cecilia Brainard, Ayala, Greenbelt

No comments: