Saturday, June 8, 2013

My Treasure from Beaune - San Pasqual, Patron Saint of the Kitchen

My Treasure from Beaune - San Pasqual, Patron Saint of the Kitchen

I'd seen a wood carving of San Pasqual in San Miguel de Allende in Mexico and regretted not buying it.  When I saw a stone statue of him in Beaune, France, I had to buy it.  He now sits in my kitchen as guardian. (The image is smiling but sometimes I wonder if he frowns at my cooking!)

San Pasqual (or Paschal) Baylon is a saint of the Catholic Church. He was born in Torrehermosa, in Aragon, Spain. He was a shepherd, then he joined the Reformed Franciscan Order as a lay brother often serving as a cook or doorkeeper. He lived a life of poverty and prayer.

He is considered the patron saint of cooks and kitchens, thus his image is a favorite in Mexican kitchens. San Pasqual is said to watch over the kitchen fire.


tags: travel, food, cooking, saints, Catholic, Patron saint of kitchens, San Paschal, San Pasqual


P.S. The Cook is a Writer - San Pasqual watch over her cooking!

No comments: