Saturday, August 16, 2008

Cebuana Trailblazers "Sugboanang Tag-una"


I've been in touch with Professor Linda Alburo, Director of the Cebuano Studies Center in the University of San Carlos. While I was in Cebu last month, the University of San Carlos arranged to have me interviewed and videotaped for a book project. I also learned that the Cebu Provincial Government through the Provincial Women's Commission included me in their Cebuana Trailblazers (Sugnoanang Tag-Una). The 60 chosen women are featured in Heritage Cards, available from the Cebuano Studies Center in Cebu. The women include educators, politicians, scientists, sports stars, international artists, activists, and others, but I feel particularly honored to be in the company of two Cebuano writers, Concepcion Briones and my mentor Lina Espina Moore.

Quote in the back of Heritage cards follows:
"As a leading arbiter of culture and development... the Cebu Provincial Government, through the Provincial Women's Commission, honors these women who have made their indelible mark in their respective fields of endeavor...
This compendium hopes to regain the women's rightful place in Cebu's Heritage to inspire present and future Cebuanos
."

Thanks to the Search Committee for honoring me - Linda Alburo, Dolores Alino, Matrilena dela Cerna, Sofia Logarta, Fe Reyes, Marietta de Egurrola, Liza D. Corro, Miraflore Diongzon, and Lorry D. Fernandez.

1 comment:

PinoyApache said...

Congratulations to being chosen as one of the trailblazing Cebuanas.