Friday, June 13, 2008

BOOKS IN MY HANDS

Here are four books that I'm reading/will be reading:

1. The Hacienda a memoir by Lisa St. Aubin De Teran, (Backbay Books 1997) - I found this in a used rare bookstore in Santa Monica. The bookstore is really cool. It's near Santa Monica College on the corner of 17th and Ocean Park. It's an account of Lisa's life in Venezuela. The world she describes is fantastic, I felt I was reading something fictional - a child that turns green, her pet vulture, her bizarre husband, the other characters of the gente in the provincial hacienda. It's dark and gothic and a fascinating read.

2. Queen of Angels by Janice T. Connell (Paraclete Press, 2008) - This is a religious book about Mother Mary. The subtitle is Mary's Answers to Universal Questions - and the book includes questions to Mary and answers by her. The book includes meditation and prayers. The book is a prayer guide. Initially I thought the first person part where Mary is talking were quotes from Mariane apparitions. I was somewhat disappointed to realize it's the author who wrote these parts. But I'm giving the book a chance. The author does suggest keeping a spiritual journal wherein you write, daily:

a) How do you feel that day;
b) Why do you feel that way;
c) Who or what you have encountered that day and their effects on you;
d) An honest evaluation of how, where and why God does or does not fit into your day and your experiences;
e) A small personal prayer for light.

The above looks worthwhile doing.

3. Mortal Beauty, God's Grace by Gerard Manley Hopkins (Vintage Spiritual Classics, 2003) - I've had this book for a while. After reading Merton and C.S.Lewis, I bought this book, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I did Merton and Lewis. I'll give it another try. Gerald Manley Hopkins ia one of those great Christian minds so he has a lot to offer. I just have to reeeaaaaddd his work.

4)God's Spy by Juan Gomez-Jurado (Plume 2008) - This is a bestseller thriller set in the Vatican. I bought it for my husband to read in Egypt and he actually enjoyed it, so I'm going to give it a try.

No comments: