Monday, January 28, 2008

JOSE RIZAL MUSEUMS IN CEBU, PHILIPPINES

Even though I grew up in Cebu, I never knew that Cebu has quite a lot of Jose Rizal artifacts. It was Marily Orosa, who years ago when she was working on her coffee table book, Rizal, mentioned that she flew to Cebu to view Rizal artifacts.

Remembering what she had told me, today, the first day, I was relatively free, I went to the Rizal Library, which has a museum section, but unfortunately the museum is under renovation. The librarian mentioned that USP (University of Southern Philippines) has a lot of Rizal things. So I went to USP, and was astounded at the materials in their small Rizal Museum. I'll be posting pictures next month, so do visit this blog again. This museum has a couple of original drawings by Rizal of Josephine Bracken. One is quite fascinating - it shows Bracken in the nude, reclining on a divan. There are two angels near her, one hovering from the top, and one standing and (seemingly) staring at her stomach.


There were clothes of Jose Rizal, the complete set of Jose Rizal postcards made in 1909; bronzes (?) of Rizal; a receipt indicating the cost to print Noli Me Tangere, paid for by his sister, Trinidad; Trinidad's school report card; a very important revolutionary flag, and many more.

When I get around to posting my pictures, I'll give more info, but in the meantime, I just have to say it was a real treat to visit this museum. I was flabbergasted that Cebu has all of these national treasures.

These were acquired because a Rizal descendant married a Cebuano.

Now many people don't realize that Josephine Bracken lived in Cebu. After Rizal was shot in Bagumbayan, she married a Cebuano - an Abad, I hear, although I have to confirm this - and she lived somewhere in Old Cebu. Apparently, she taught school, some say, the Immaculada Concepcion. This topic is up for further research; very little is known.


All for now, from Cebu,
Cecilia

3 comments:

cherry said...

Hi. I'm from Cebu. Fr. Abola is the chaplain of our school, PAREF Southcrest School in Banilad. When he found out I teach English to the high school students here, he immediately thought of you and asked if we would be open to inviting you to speak to our students. I said, "Of course! We would more than welcome her."

So I was wondering if you are still in town, since we are celebrating our Academic Week this Feb. 4-8. If not, please do let us know when you will be in Cebu again. =)

Cherry C. Thelmo-Fernandez
cherry_tf@southscrestschool.com

. said...

i visited that museum in cebu a few years ago but unfortunately i missed the nude drawing of josephine!!! i have carried out some research on her and have found conclusive evidence that she was fully irish. many in the philipinnes, especially historians, believe that she was of mixed race and illegitimate. i will be launching a blog soon that details her life story: - brackenjosephine.blogspot.com
yes, she taught english in cebu and also i believe in iloilo.

Cecilia Manguerra Brainard said...

Cherry, I couldn't email you directly. I am not in Cebu. I will be back there around June 22. Invite me beforehand. I will do my best.
Cbrainard@aol.com