Sunday, October 18, 2015

Travel Nuremberg Castle or Kaiserburg #Travel #Germany




 Today we visited the ancient Imperial Castle of Nuremberg, (Kaiserburg) recorded as existing as early as 1105. Located in the northern end of the walled city of Nuremberg, the Castle sits atop a hill and is said to be one of the best fortified medieval fortification.

I love travelling because those names that I'd learned in my history books become real as I see evidence of their existence. This castle, for instance, had been occupied by the Hohenstaufens, Hohensollers, the Holy Roman Emperor Charles VI, and the Habsburgs.

What I found most interesting was that early on there had been a system of selecting the emperor by seven kings. I was also reminded that the Lutheran religion became dominant around 1521 - I should not have forgotten since I'd written a paper in high school on Martin Luther, one quite supportive of Luther, for which I earned an A.





It was 44 degrees today, chilly, and overcast. Even the locals bundled up. There are beer gardens that still have outdoor furniture and decor, from Oktoberfest no doubt, but these are no longer used. I imagine the owners will be storing these soon, and the geraniums that remain in pots outside windows will also die. 

For lunch we tried their famous Nuremberg sausage, which look like finger-sized bratwurst, tasty with sauerkraut and mustard, but not remarkable.

I have also been struck by how helpful and friendy the local folk have been. I had heard that Bavarians are so.



Except for the last three photos, the pictures were taken at the Kaiserburg. The bottom pictures were taken at the old town. There are quite a number of  churches all within walking distance. Most of them are now Lutheran, although there was one Catholic where Mass was said.

Note the fountain picture below taken in front of one of the churches. The figures represent saints, I believe, but for some strange reason the sculptor chose to have water spouting out from the nipples of the figurines.



Read also
Our European Cruise: Low Water Level of the Danube and Refugee Crisis

This is all for now,
Cecilia


No comments: