Thursday, March 19, 2015

Philippine Cooking: Spam, Eggs, and Rice Breakfast



Growing up in the Philippines, canned food like Spam, Corned Beef, and Vienna Sausage were considered special. 

One of my favorite breakfast was (and is) Spam, eggs, and rice. The rice was steamed, although fried garlic rice became popular when I got older. The eggs were fried, over-easy. The Spam was also fried, but just when the pieces were almost done, we sprinkled sugar on the Spam so that each piece had a caramelized coating -- red brown, gooey, with crisp edges, absolutely heavenly. Using your spoon and fork, you got a bit of egg, Spam, and rice and popped that in your mouth --- oh, the thought makes my mouth water!

I was surprised to learn, when I came to the US, that Spam is not considered special and is, in fact, reviled by some. Spam is sometimes referred to as "white trash or trailer food." I've heard some American friends say they never ate Spam in their entire lives. I don't know if they're telling the truth, because obviously quite a number of Americans are eating Spam. There is an Annual Spam Festival and an annual Spam Jam in the U.S. The way I look at it the makers of Spam are doing just fine.

In places like the Philippines and Hawaii though, people are united in their love for Spam. In Hawaii, they even make Spam Sushi - see picture, courtesy of Spam.com. 


In the Philippines, we stick to frying Spam, with or without the sugar caramelized coating. I know that Filipinos in America continue to enjoy this breakfast.

Try this Filipino breakfast sometime!




Read also:
Cooking with Cecilia - Pancit Bihon Guisado, Filipino rice noodle dish 
Cooking with Cecilia Brainard - Quiche
Cooking with Cecilia Brainard - Linguine with Clams
Cooking Lengua Estofada 
Food Essay - Fried Chicken Caribbean-style
How I Learned to Make Leche Flan (or How I Met my Husband)
Cooking with Cecilia - Leche Flan (Vietnamese Style) 
Recipe for Balbacua Cebuana from Louie Nacorda
Easy Filipino Recipes from Maryknollers 
Cooking with Cecilia - Beef Bourguignon 
Cooking with Cecilia - Chicken Soup for my Bad Cold 
Cooking with Cecilia - Short Bread Cookies and Friar Tuck in my Kitchen!
Filipino Cooking: Carol's Recipe for Corn Bibingka

Tags: Spam, food, cooking, Filipino, Philippines, Hawaii, breakfast. #Filipinofood

This is all for now,
Cecilia

No comments: