Friday, February 27, 2015

Taking a Walk in Santa Monica, California


I used to do step exercise, swimming, and yoga for my workout, but dropped out.  Now I walk, do stationary biking and stretching. 


Walking works for me. It's easy and pleasurable. I get fresh air, I get to look around, and time passes quickly. According to the American Heart Association, these are the rewards of walking even 30 minutes a day:

  • Reduce the risk of coronary heart disease
  • Improve blood pressure and blood sugar levels
  • Improve blood lipid profile
  • Maintain body weight and lower the risk of obesity
  • Enhance mental well being
  • Reduce the risk of osteoporosis
  • Reduce the risk of breast and colon cancer
  • Reduce the risk of non-insulin dependent (type 2) diabetes

I took some pictures during my recent walk in my neighborhood in Santa Monica. There are a number of well-landscaped homes, a multi-colored house, a tree house, a park, and some closeups of plants.    

It's only February but it feels like Spring. The forecast for the weekend is rain, but because California is experiencing a severe drought, we welcome rain.

The house above is mine. There is a bush in front with huge white flowers called the Mantilija Poppy, a California native plant.  I love this plant. The white flowers with the yellow center part are very dramatic. These flowers are described as looking like fried eggs, and they do look like that.














Read also
Long Beach, California: Beauty Queens, Parkers' Lighthouse, Queen Mary, MOLAA
The Pinata District of Los Angeles, California - Ole!
Los Angeles, California: The Fairfax District and Canter's Deli
California: Night Tour of Santa Monica Pier

Tags:Santa Monica, California, Southern California, homes, houses, gardens, pictures

This is all for now,
Cecilia

No comments: