Friday, September 19, 2014

Spoken Word: Open Mic Literary Readings in Paris and Berlin

 
  I have writer-friends, poets mostly, who feel the need to perform their writings, and they do so at readings or spoken word events. For me, my writing is for reading. Performing what I've written is another matter entirely. Now and then though, I feel the need to connect with people via performance. It's a heady experience, especially if the audience is a good one. There's something immediate in the connection a writer/reader can make with an audience, and this can be gratifying.




 I've been thinking that it might be fun to attend Open Mic Readings in Paris and Berlin when I visit, and I did some research. In Paris, it seems the famous Shakespeare and Company no longer hosts Open Mic events, which is too bad; apparently now the bookstore only has authors who are marketing their new books.  But I found two venues for Spoken Word Performances in Paris:


Every Thursday in English (other languages too – when in Rome, speak French) at the historic home of French Slam poetry, Culture Rapide (103 Rue Julien Lacroix, 75020).  If you would like to read, dance, sing or otherwise express yourself, sign up is open and free to all starting at 8pm-ish. We go until we drop – which means all night long! In any language. Or no language at all. No limits. Extreme poetry. Nudity encouraged.
Plus, each week featured readers from around the world are invited to strut their stuff before our rowdy but respectful audience.
Hosted by Jason Mc Gimsey and Emily Ruck Keene.

2. Slam au Donwtown Cafe: 

Slam au Downtown Café is a weekly French open mic poetry night but other languages are welcome. Every Monday, 8.00ish till late at:
Downtown Café
46 rue Jean-Pierre Timbaud
75011 Paris
Métro Parmentier/République
 Hosted by David Barnes


 Berlin has quite a number of Open Mic/Spoke Word Venues, but I thought this might be a good one to attend:

The Open Door, a poetry Open Mic, every Tuesday at 8 p.m. 
Shakespeare and Sons Bookstore
Raumerstrasse 36
10437 Berlin - Prenzlauer Berg

As I'm working on my European schedule, I'm including visits to these Open Mic venues. It'll be fun to be with other writers, to share my work and to listen to theirs.

Now, as to whether I will actually have the time to do these is another matter, so we shall see what happens.

Hey, it's Friday today -- have a great weekend!

Read also
 My Love Affair with France
Fiction - Talking about the woman in Cholon
Chapter from Magdalena

 This is all for now,
Cecilia

No comments: