Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Cooking with Cecilia - Short Bread Cookies and Friar Tuck in my Kitchen!



Do you remember my San Pasqual statue in my kitchen? He's the patron saint of the kitchen and cooks, and I was very happy to have found him in Beaune, France. (That's him to the right, holding a bottle of wine and a dead goose.)

I found a companion for him -- Friar Tuck, a vintage cookie jar. They don't sit side by side, but they're both in the kitchen. They are both adorable.

I imagine they'll have conversations late at night when we are asleep. Maybe they'll talk about philosophy or politics. They look like they come from different religious orders, so they could talk about which order is better.  Or maybe they'll discuss what the best way is to get to heaven. Or maybe they'll talk about food, because they both look like they love food. Or -- dread the thought -- they'll criticize my cooking.





I found Friar Tuck in an antique shop.  He's not the first Monk/Friar Cookie Jar I've had. Many years ago, I had a collectible Friar cookie jar that stressed me out because it was expensive and I realized I was being a drag when I kept telling the children to be careful.  I got rid of him and have been using tin cans to hold cookies. Friar Tuck will be an improvement but he won't be as worrisome because he's not as high-end as that other one.

I like his smile and his sign that says: Thou Shalt Not Steal (cookies).

But of course, people in the house are welcome to steal my cookies!

Here's a recipe for Short Bread Cookies.

Recipe for Hanna's Short Bread Cookies

1 1/2 sticks butter (3/4 cup)
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
1 3/4 cup flour
Mix together flour, sugar, and salt. Work in the butter with a fork or pastry cutter until smooth. Refrigerate dough for a couple of hours or overnight. On a lightly floured surface roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thick. Cut into rounds. Place on baking sheets lined with parchment paper and bake for approximately 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
~~
This is all for now,
Cecilia
Read also
My Treasure from Beaune - San Pasqual, Patron Saint of the Kitchen

No comments: