Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Israel's IDF and its Medical Missions - More of this, World!

My head has been reeling with the tragedies in the world, and so I'd like to focus on something beautiful for a change.



You will recall that last November, when super typhoon Haiyan or Yolanda caused havoc in the Philippines, the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) set up a field hospital in Northern Cebu - (read Jews in the Philippines 1940 and 2013).  When I visited Cebu in late January, the Israel Rescue Mission was still there, helping the people who were recovering from Haiyan.

I also noted recent news of wounded Syrians finding medical help in Israel. The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) has been providing "vital health services to wounded Syrians." Israeli Chief medical officer for the IDF said, "We are saving the lives of our enemies."  Syria and Israel have officially been at war since 1948. But now, with Assad barrel-bombing his own people, wounded Syrians have found some help in Israel.

The IDF had also set up field hospitals in Haiti after the 2010 earthquake and in Japan after the 2011 tsunami.

This is what I have to say: In 2008, when we visited Israel, I was put off by the aggressiveness of the young soldiers. I recall my husband and I standing in line at the airport, on our way out of Israel, and a uniformed young woman brought someone to stand right in front of us.  My husband made some comment about there being a line.  This young woman faced him, thumped her chest and said, "I am security. I can do what I want."

That incident has stayed with me for years.

 I know some of you will say the medical missions of the IDF are propaganda, but I must say that what the IDF has done for the survivors of Haiyan and for the wounded Syrians touches my heart.  It makes me forgive that arrogant young woman who thought she could do what she wanted because of her uniform. It gives me hope. This is how the world should operate. This is what all religions promote, that we love one another.

Matthew 40: "Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethen, ye have done it unto me."

Read also
IDF Allows First Peek into Secret Golan Heights Field Hospital

First Filipino Baby Boy Born in IDF's Cebu Field Hospital Named "Israel"
IDF Treats 2,000th Patient in the Philippines
IDF Builds Field Hospital on border to Treat Syrians

First Impressions of Fiji and Fijians
Cultural Night at the Fiji Palms Resort
It's Raining in Fiji Paradise
Tropical Storm in Fiji Continues
Sunshine Break in Fiji - Hurrah!
Vinaka, Fiji, for a Wonderful Time!

tags: Israel, Philippines, Northern Cebu, Haiyan, Syria, Syrian war, Golan Heights, IDF, medical mission, field hospital

This is all for now, this Ash Wednesday,

Cecilia

No comments: