Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Watch out for Windows Scamners re Malware!



Yesterday, I got a phone call from a man with an Indian accent who said he was Stephen from Microsoft Windows. He was calling because my computer was infected with a lot of malware. He told me to go to my computer and to press the keys "Windows" and "R" which led me the Windows Run dialog box, and then he had me enter "eventvwr", which revealed a list of repetitive "Information" listings, so-called infections, he said. Then he had me visit a site of AMMYY, after which the person wanted to control my computer.



Even before this point, I was already wary, and I kept asking what his name was and was he really from Microsoft Windows, etc.  Finally I asked for his supervisor's name and telephone number (Steven someone at 786-629-9155). I said I would verify if this phone call was from Microsoft before I went any further. He kept repeating, "So you're not continuing this?"  I told him, "Not until I've verified this was a call from Microsoft."

The conversation ended. I googled "Hoax, Windows, Malware" --- and came up with a slew of writeups about this type of scam, for example, Trying to unmask the fake Miscrosoft support scammers!

And here's another article from the Better Business Bureau, BBB alerts residents to Microsoft tech support scam.  And still another article, Malwarebytes unpacked.

So, dear Readers, watch out for this type of internet scam!


Read also
Fighting back! - Computer Malware

This is all for now,
Cecilia

tags: hoax, scam, scammers, computer, phone, computer, windows, microsoft

No comments: