Sunday, April 14, 2013

COOKING WITH CECILIA - LECHE FLAN (Vietnamese style), Cecilia Manguerra Brainard

 COOKING WITH CECILIA - LECHE FLAN (Vietnamese Style)

I'm cooking for some friends, and my menu includes Leche Flan. Here is my favorite Leche Flan Recipe, which has coconut milk.  The coconut milk seems to make the texture smoother.  I have other Leche Flan Recipes, from the Philippines and Mexico, but this one almost always turns out perfect. It may take more than 45 minutes to cook. You have to test with a knife. Poke and pull, if the knife is clean, the flan is cooked.

(The picture shows me with Beef Bourguignon, another favorite recipe. I'll post that recipe another time.)


Leche Flan with Vietnamese Touch
4 eggs
1 cup condensed milk
1 cup coconut milk
2 tbsp vanilla
sugar to carmelize container
Mix eggs, milk, and vanilla. I carmelize sugar in a pan and spoon out brown sugar-liquid into the bottoms of pyrex containers. I put the mixture into the containers, around 2/3 or 3/4 full. I double boil for around 45 minutes at 325 degrees.

Let the pyrex containers cool. Run knife around the edges and loosen flan before flipping onto a serving plate, spoon carmelized sugar over the top. Delicious!


Read also:
Cooking with Cecilia Brainard - Quiche
Cooking with Cecilia Brainard - Linguine with Clams
Cooking Lengua Estofada
Food Essay - Fried Chicken Caribbean-style
How I Learned to Make Leche Flan (or How I Met my Husband)
Cooking with Cecilia - Leche Flan (Vietnamese Style) 
Recipe for Balbacua Cebuana from Louie Nacorda 
Easy Filipino Recipes from Maryknollers
Cooking with Cecilia - Beef Bourguignon
Cooking with Cecilia - Chicken Soup for my Bad Cold

~~~
tags: cooking, recipes, dessert, leche flan, custard, cookbook, food

No comments: