Monday, September 28, 2009

About Movies and Books...

Movies I've seen recently:
~ Bright Star - I enjoyed this Jane Campion movie even though I acknowledge the movie had a plodding quality, and it has Campion's signature anglophile point of view. The movie documents the romance of John Keats and Fanny Browne. It made me want to reread the poetry of John Keats - oh how we loved his poetry along with Shelley's and Byron's when we were in high school.

~ Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs - I saw this kid movie with my grandchild Dylan. He enjoyed it more than I did. The film is based on a 1978 book about an inventor who creates a machine that causes clouds to drop - not rain - but all sorts of food. Dylan chuckled through the movie; I dozed off in some parts.

Book I'm reading: The Virgin Suicides, a novel by Jeffrey Eugenides - I highly recommend this and the other novel, Middlesex by Eugenides.

Book I'll be reading next: Michael Genelin's second crime novel, Dark Dreams, published by Soho. Michael's first novel is Siren of the Waters. Both novels have the same protagonist, Jana Matinova. Get your copy from Amazon.com or from any bookstore. Great mystery novels.

Michael was kind enough to write in the Preface of Dark Dreams, "My gratitude to Cecilia Brainard, Lauren Brainard, and John Allen for their continuing friendship and their aid in strengthening my resolve, and my work as a novelist."

Thank you Michael, for the acknowledgement!

~~~
Picture l-r: Dylan and Luke

No comments: