Tuesday, January 1, 2008

YOUTUBE ON MY MIND

Lauren mentioned the Reel Geezers, an older couple that does movie reviews in YouTube.com. Marcia and Lorenzo, both in their 80s, were featured in today's Los Angeles Times. They do this Ebert & Roeper routine, that is they review movies, sometimes agreeing, other times arguing. They are charming. There is something endearing about these two. They have been involved in the movie industry all their
lives, and they continue to connect with movies by doing these reviews. A friend/contact of theirs uses two cameras to tape them. He edits the work to 5 minutes, which you can view in YouTube. Marcia and Lorenzo are not married to each other, and I imagine how they plan to see movies together, and arrange with the film maker to come in once or twice a month to videotape their reviews of such movies as: Juno, Darjeeling Limited, Michael Clayton, etc. Beats worrying about your high blood pressure or whatever ailments older folks get.

YouTube has been in mind recently. I've had a number of home videos, which I've been talking about editing for years. Finally my son bought me the right computer peripherals that connect the videocam to the computer and allow me to download the video into the computer. I downloaded a free program called MovieMaker II, which allows me to edit these home movies. It's remarkably simple, compared to how we had done things in film school - oh, so many years ago. Now, it's just drag and drop. I still have to learn more tricks of course; this technology is different, but I'm proud to say that I've put up two short home movies in YouTube under the name of Palhbooks. Look them up under the titles of: Merwyn Bergquist and Robert Brainard. The piece on Merwyn is her 80th birthday celebration - in 2005 (I did mention I'd been meaning to work on this!). The other piece is the last home movie I made of my father-in-law, General Robert Francis Brainard. He already had terminal cancer when I filmed this, and I didn't have the nerve to focus the camera on him for any length of time, nor to interview him. I should have. He died shortly after this filming.

And the third YouTube connection today was our viewing of the Battle at Kruger, about water buffalos, lions and a crocodile. It shows a pride of lions attacking a young water buffalo. A crocodile attacks the same buffalo, so there is a tug-of-war between the lions and the croc over the poor water buffalo. And meantime, the herd of buffalos regroup and attack the pride of lions. It is quite a fight! Around 25 water buffalos form a phalanx and surround the 5 lionesses. The herd of buffalo has a leader who steps forward to kick and gore the lionesses. Remarkable! And yes, the young water buffalo survived the attack.

See it all in YouTube.

No comments: